Demands from the Women Speakout at the DNC for Justice, Survival and a Living Wage for All
Tuesday July 26, 2016 at Broad Street Ministry, Philadelphia
A very diverse group of several hundred women and some men attended and spoke out about their concerns. These are some of the demands from those speaking out:
Anti-war and International Struggles
- Stop funding repressive military and police forces in Honduras
- Support the Berta Caceres Human Rights in Honduras Act (H.R.5474)
- Bring ALL troops home
- Redirect military funding to meet human needs.
- Justice for indigenous communities, including indigenous women.
- End environmental racism
- Hold corporations accountable for their crimes
Movement for Black Lives on the Street and in Prisons
- Declare Flint a Federal Disaster Area (Superfund Site)
- Make full Medicare available for every Flint resident NOW
- Abolish Michigan Emergency Law (PA 436) to protect democracy in Michigan
- End systemic police violence, brutality and terrorism against Black and other people of color
- End cash bail and stop building prisons
- Demand accountability by police for the murder of Freddie Gray in Baltimore, Brandon Tate Brown in Philly, Oscar Grant in Oakland and Frank McQueen in Chester, and for the beating of Tyree Carroll in Philly and for all victims of police violence.
- End mass incarceration and solitary confinement
- Free Carrington Keys - Dallas 6 prison guard abuse whistleblower who faces assault charges for peacefully protesting against the abuse
- Justice for Russell Maroon Shoatz
- Release immediately Benton Harbor activist Rev. Edward Pinkney
Campaigning against poverty and for caregivers
- Support the Rise Out of Poverty Act (H.R. 3486, Rep. Gwen Moore, D-WI);
- Support the Living Wage for Mothers and Other Caregivers international petition
- Provide Universal Health Care
- Support Colorado Cares Act
- Support Women4Bernie's continuing work on the issues that Bernie Sanders spoke to during the campaign
- Department of Human Services and other child "welfare" departments must stop terrorizing Black and other mothers by unjustly removing children for reasons of poverty, racism and sexism
- $15 minimum wage must be instituted
- Comprehensive sexuality education reform
- Protect the rights of birthing women (stop shackling incarcerated women giving birth)
- Stop privatizing schools
- Decrease solid waste which is impacting us all
- There must be free access to public transportation for rural women and rural veterans.
- Resources for mental health issues.
For more information: 215-848-1120 email@example.com
Co-ordinator of Global Women's Strike
In The Guardian: Child removals mark a return to Victorian values
More Guardian articles
Quoted in NY Times Op-Ed: Pay People to Cook at Home!
Other countries we work with (so far...)
Tue 28th Feb 17
UK Mon 20th Feb 17
Mon 20th Feb 17
Sat 11th Feb 17
UK Wed 8th Feb 17
Join our mailing list!
Sojourner Truth Radio
Margaret Prescod on Sojourner Truth radio: KPFK in Los Angeles 7-8amPST Tues-Fri , WPFW in Washington DC 4-5pmEST Tues-Fri, WBAI in NYC 4-5pmEST, Mon-Thurs Website
News on US domestic & foreign policy. Cutting-edge interviews with women, people of color & others around the world.
Great article: Hunger for Justice
KPFK's Margaret Prescod named Best Radio Personality - 2012 by OC Weekly!