Reply to comment
Date: Saturday, 12 March 2011 - 11:30am - 3:00pm
Location: Arch Street United Methodist Church, 55 N. Broad St, Philadelphia PA 19107
End Budget Cuts, Discrimination, War, Poverty & Other Violence
Gather at 11:30 at Arch Street Church, short march thru Center City, back to Arch Street Church for indoor program at 1pm (in case of bad weather, all indoors). Wheelchair accessible.
Indoor program includes SpeakOut, short film (“DHS – Give Us Back Our Children”), music, food, children’s program. All welcome!
Contact email@example.com or 215-848-1120 for details
Mothers March called by Global Women’s Strike
Mothers March Philadelphia Planning Group and co-sponsors include: Brandywine Peace Community * DHS Give Us Back Our Children * Every Mother is a Working Mother Network * FAKS, Inc (Foster, Adoptive and Kinship Stakeholders) *Global Women’s Strike/Phila * Payday men’s network * Phila BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) * Wages Due Lesbians * WinVisible (Women with Visible and Invisible Disabilities) * Women of Color/GWS
Why I’ll be marching - statements from Philly and around the world
• ‘I’m marching because we need change, for a better world.’
• ‘As an Adoptive Parent and ex-Foster Parent, I've watched in horror how Vulnerable Families are torn apart because resources aren't being shared with birth Parents, but are freely given to “strangers” instead. I'm marching to help preserve “natural” Vulnerable Families!’
• ‘I’m marching for housing for people who don’t have any, it is a human right.’
• ‘Welfare “reform” – TANF- is coming up for reauthorization. Under TANF, welfare rolls were reduced with money “saved” going into child welfare to take children. This must be stopped and we need to fight for the money we’re entitled to.’
• ‘I’m marching to bring families back together in peace, unity and harmony.’
• ‘I’m marching for Mother Earth.’
• ‘They want to take our forests away. They don’t respect anything.’
• ‘Everything that is about caring and helping people is being cut, while there's always money for war and Wall St.’
Co-ordinator of Global Women's Strike
Quoted in NY Times Op-Ed: Pay People to Cook at Home!
In the Guardian: From welfare to wages, women fight back against the uncaring market
Listen to speak in Ireland: "How can women defeat austerity?"
Other countries we work with (so far...)
Sojourner Truth Radio
Margaret Prescod on Sojourner Truth Pacifica Radio, KPFK, Tuesdays.
News on US domestic & foreign policy. Cutting-edge interviews with women, people of color & others around the world.
KPFK's Margaret Prescod named Best Radio Personality - 2012 by OC Weekly!
Sojourner Truth website
UK Fri 17th May 13
Letter to The Guardian reporting on launch of petition 'Invest in a caring society. A living wage for mothers and other carers.'UK Thu 16th May 13
Messages of support to launch of petition Invest in a caring society. A living wage for mothers and other carers.UK Thu 16th May 13
Mon 13th May 13
USA Sat 11th May 13